In the southwestern corner of Richmond, Virginia’s Capitol Square, at the intersection of Ninth and Franklin Streets, the red brick Bell Tower has stood since 1824. It was once used for a guard house and the bell warned of fires. During the Civil War, the bell sounded when Federal troops approached the city. More recently, it was an office for Lt. Gov. Charles S. Robb (1978-82), and the Capitol Square Preservation Council. It now serves as a Visitor Center for Virginia Tourism.